Codes Compliance
Assistance Department

Reducing Blight and Improving Livability

The Codes Compliance Assistance Department (CCAD) works to stabilize neighborhoods and protect the community by reducing blight and maintaining the quality of existing structures. We do this by educating property owners and enforcing the city code. When a property owner does not voluntarily comply, the department uses enforcement actions or abatement processes to achieve compliance.

Map of CCAD Inspector Zones

The geographic boundaries of the zones were determined by several factors including population density, land use and case load.

Click here for CCAD Organizational Chart

Days to Initial Inspection

The Codes Compliance Assistance Department is committed to being responsive to citizen's requests for inspections.  The department strives to complete initial inspections within 5 days.  Below is a measurement of our current response time.

Most Frequent Violations

The chart below illustrates the most common code violations found in the City of St. Petersburg. Being aware of these ordinances helps us to be better neighbors and maintain a consistent quality of life.  The graph can be filtered by inspector zone, subdivision (neighborhood association) and date case reported.

Yard Maintenance

Yard maintenance standards are the responsibility of every property owner and include the maintenance of plant material in any right-of-way around the property.  Sod (including turf and turfgrass) or other herbaceous growth other than ground cover species shall be maintained at a maximum overall height of ten inches or less; ground cover plant material shall be maintained at an overall height not to exceed 24 inches.  Hedges located within 5 feet of the property line must be properly trimmed to height limits specified in the code. The branches of a tree extending over any public sidewalk, street or other public way should be trimmed to a height of no less than eight feet above the sidewalk and fourteen feet above the street. Vegetation and trees must be trimmed so as not to impair vision or obstruct the travel of motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians upon any street, sidewalk or alley. 

Domestic Equipment

Domestic equipment includes motor homes, trailers, utility trailers, boats and campers. Up to two pieces of domestic equipment may be located on certain areas of a residential lot. Domestic equipment may be located in the rear yard or interior side yard of a lot; but not in a front yard, a street side yard, or a waterfront yard. On weekends only, equipment may be brought into the front yard to allow easy access and more frequent use. formation about legally recognized parking areas.

Fence/Wall/Hedge Maintenance

There are many factors that govern fence, wall, and hedge regulations.  Requirements for height, location, and design can vary based on the zoning, orientation of lot, and several other factors. To ensure your fence is installed in accordance with City Code please review the regulations provided below.  If you have additional questions regarding fence, wall, and hedge regulations please contact the Zoning department at 727-893-7472. 

Inoperative Motor Vehicle

Inoperative motor vehicles cannot be stored except in a fully enclosed structure that was constructed with a permit. An inoperative vehicle is a vehicle that does not display a current license tag and/or is not equipped with all parts that are required to legally and safely operate on public streets and/or cannot be driven under its own power (whether or not designed for use on the public streets). 


Permit requirements help insure the safety, workmanship, and quality of any construction, installations and repairs. Compliance with various development and building codes is monitored throughout the process.
In order to build, alter or demolish any structures, a permit is required. When you obtain a permit for work and have the work inspected by the City, the work is reviewed to ensure code compliance, and the actual work is inspected by a certified inspector.
For property that is not owner-occupied, a licensed contractor must obtain permits and perform work. A homeowner (owner occupant of a single-family home or duplex) may obtain their own permit and perform work themselves, but only under strict conditions. The homeowner must submit a signed, notarized owner’s affidavit which states that they are acting as their own contractor and are taking full responsibility for these actions.

Junk/Outdoor Storage

Junk and rubbish cannot be left in the yard and must be properly disposed. This includes junk auto parts, appliances, furniture, building materials and tires; trash such as discarded paper, cardboard, plastics, etc; and debris such as tree trimmings and fallen limbs.
Outdoor storage is prohibited. Generally, any equipment, materials, or furnishings that would ordinarily not be used outdoors may not be stored outdoors. For example, you may not keep indoor furniture, household appliances, auto parts, or building materials outside. You may not store firewood outside unless it is stacked on open racks eighteen inches above the ground. You may store a barbecue grill, lawn furniture, garden hoses, garden tools, outdoor play equipment for children, or a lawn mower outside in an orderly fashion.

Yard Parking

Parking in the required front yard set back is permitted for passenger cars and motorcycles on residential lots only on a legal driveway or in a garage. A driveway or parking area must be constructed with approved parking surfaces. There are limits to the amount of yard area that can be used for a driveway or parking. Check with the Development Review Services Division at 727-893-7471 for more in are limits to the amount of yard area that can be used for a driveway or parking. Check with the Development Review Services Division at 727-893-7471 for more information about legally recognized parking areas.

Property Maintenance

The maintenance of a structure is the responsibility of the property owner. Any wood, siding, shingles, roof covering, railings, fences, walls, ceilings, porches, doors, windows and screens, and other exterior parts of a structure must be maintained in weather tight, rodent proof, sound condition and good repair. The property owner is responsible for maintaining secure windows, doors or other openings that cannot be readily opened for the outside. An owner may need to board up a vacant structure if a break-in occurs. Security boards must be made of exterior grade plywood painted in a neutral color that blends inconspicuously with the exterior colors of the building.

Map of Current Active Codes Cases

Codes department regularly responds to complaints and initiates cases regularly throughout the city to ensure compliance. This map shows where cases have been reported, how they originated and are being investigated.  Data can be filtered by neighborhood association, inspector zone, case origination and the date the case was reported.

Codes Cases by Origination

Codes Compliance Cases are both proactively initiated and responsive to neighborhood concerns. The chart below illustrates the various ways cases are originated. Data can be filtered by date case reported, neighborhood association, inspector zone and case status.

Number of Codes Cases by Month

Codes department manages thousands of cases per month. The number of cases can vary due to seasonal factors, special events, focused or enhanced efforts on areas of concern.